Job Title: Senior Test Engineer
Reports To: Head of Product Development and Architecture
Working Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Ringwood/Cardiff, Wales
Smarter Technologies’ ability to flex and deliver small bespoke solutions and major transformation programmes is built on a model where the client’s needs and goals are prioritised over everything else.
Currently undergoing a period of rapid growth through word of mouth recommendations Smarter Technologies associates are right now helping senior leaders across Government plan and deliver some of the most exciting and truly transformational programmes required to modernise public services.
We operate an associate model, only engaging with first class, known and trusted associates, with at least 10 years government delivery experience each.
We have over 100 permanent staff, and our wider resource pool includes over 800 subject matter experts from our sub-contractors and long-term associates, who collectively cover all of the skills and knowledge areas required.
The associates that we work with all share our values and commitment to delivering a high-quality service. Many have worked with us for a number of years across multiple projects and complement our permanent team with additional niche subject matter expertise or delivery experience.
The Senior Test Engineer will join a dynamic development team working on a range of exciting projects using cutting-edge technologies. The intention is to expand the business over the next 2-3 years. Activities will include building out the next generation of highly-scalable, reusable and performant distributed services and applications for Smarter Technologies’ extensive and diverse range of customers and clients.
- Define and implement effective product test and automation strategies, and release test plans.
- Development of automated tests for both client and server-side functionality using appropriate tools.
- To perform exploratory / manual testing as required.
- Ensuring that quality and testability are built in throughout the development lifecycle.
- To rigorously perform test execution, record results and log defects accurately, as well produce high quality summary reports.
- Working with customers and stakeholders to establish and achieve quality and non-functional goals.
- Assisting with understanding customer requirements, technical design and estimation.
- Investigating root causes of discovered issues and providing corrective actions, either individually or in conjunction with the development team.
- Taking personal responsibility for ensuring all solutions that go to production are of the highest quality and meet customer requirements and needs.
- Undertaking code reviews, providing constructive feedback and advising on best practice.
- Co-ordinating efforts to advance our quality-focussed engineering practices.
- The post holder is responsible for maintaining a safe working environment and ensure as reasonably practicable that safe working practices are adopted by employees within this work environment
Essential Requirements, Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
Education and training
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent, preferably in subjects related to Information Technology.
- ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level in Software Testing
Specific job skills and experience required
- Several years of experience delivering solutions using Agile methods (Scrum, XP, etc)
- Experience of delivering software for commercial and public sector organisations, with a logical approach to problem solving.
- Extensive automation experience with an in-depth knowledge of testing tools and frameworks, for example Selenium, LoadRunner.
- Experience of Behaviour and Test-Driven Development.
- Ability to evaluate test results against customer requirements.
- Experience testing both server and client-side systems, services and APIs built using a range of technologies.
- Strong knowledge of modern software testing methodologies and processes.
- Non-functional testing experience in a Cloud-based environment.
- Proficient in use of SQL scripting and other data technologies.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Passionate about software testing and automation, and producing high quality, innovative code and solutions.
- A quick learning capability, easily picking up new technical concepts.
- Ability to spot trends in the market and implement most efficient technologies.
- A can-do, self-motivated attitude, with a strong attention to detail.
- The ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and priorities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, plus a relentless ability to come up with different ideas and initiatives that will help the business to achieve its objectives
Desirable Requirements Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- A great sense of humour.
- A good understanding of working with a public sector organisation.
- Mobile automation testing knowledge
To apply, please send your CV and a letter of motivation to: